
My friend Stafano just came back from a 3 month travel through Africa. Between others, he discovered Zanzibar, and its beatyfull boats. He also did a short sail trip. I hope to hear everything about it soon.Those boats remind me very much of the traditional boats used in NorthEast Brazil. No wonder. The State of Maranhão, with its capital São Luiz, has a rich variety of work boat types. Lusitanian and African heritage. I have not found much picture or video material yet...
Note, that outrigger configurations were also used in East Africa.
I do not remeber having seen any outrigger equipped doughout canoes used among the South American indians, though. Neither is it known (to me) that they ventured far out into see. During wars thhey would make extensive crossings in paddle canoes, but, apparently, not sail.
Which is quite understandable, because the soil provided everything in abundancy. There was no need to venture out into the Ocean. Fish literally sprang them into the canoes when paddling the mangrove inlets and many rivers! Outrigger would only hinder them in tight corners, paddling through mangrove roots and shallows.
That doesn't mean they were indifferent to the sea. By no means. They liked to go to the beach and have fun in the waves, wash and play. It is not known whether they surfed... I think not. Maybe body surf? Jacaré?
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário