Sailing on a trans-oceanic voyage was my childhood dream. I have always longed to experience a long period of time sailing to remote locations.In the middle of 2003 the consulting business I was in took a downward trend. Since I didn't want to stay "on the beach", in the office, I agreed on a sabbatical with my bosses.
I thought it was a good time to fullfil a dream. As it was end of september, I had the intention to cross the Atlantic, from the Canary Islands to the Caribean. Classic. But then, while searching crewing possibilities over the internet, I found the possibility to join a SouthEast Pacific Tour. A privately owned, 50ft. steel cutter, would take on 7 people form different nationalities to sail from Equador to Galapagos, Easter Island and back to South America - ending in Valdivia Chile. The french-polish-south african captain would give instruction about oceanic sailing. A Yachtmaster examination would be the end result of it.
I jumped on it. I thought; How would I ever get a chance to sail to Galapagos and Easter Island again? Easy answer. Polinesian culture, the most remote, permanently inhabitet island in the world, challenging anchoring. Galapagos, as a bonus, with its exotic fauna, in the steps of Darwin, the cradle of evolution theory! To sail back we would have to dive south, right into the Roaring Forties. Ok... Caribean can wait. Despite some concerns, I just jumped on it, and took my chances.
I took a plane to Lima. 2 days later, I flew to Guayaquil, in Equador. After a night and short visit, I took a bus to Salinas at the coast, where I joined the rest of the crew. A spanish couple, 2 canadians, 2 americans,1 dutch and 1 brazilian - me.
Click on the image to get a closer view. Californian friends might note, that I've tried to bring you into the picture. But I didn't get past Baja California.
A tour like this gives you a different perspective on the world.
2 comentários:
Thanks Peter. I took my first 8-day class in keelboat sailing 5 years ago when I was similarly 'resting' between jobs. Sometimes I think it would be good to have an opportunity to do that again. But I am older, have kids to feed and send to school. We will see.
Cheers
David
Hi David,
I'll post on that.
Cheers,
Peter
Postar um comentário