sexta-feira, 21 de março de 2008

Pascua - Easter Island departure

Goose Neck Barnacle

I decided to continue with the voyage on the last leg, that should take us to Isla Juan Fernandes and back to Chile. I was looking forward to Juan Fernandes, which is another remote island, which only receives a small amount of visitors. The island is mainly known for having been the home to the sailor Alexander Selkirk for four years, which later inspired the novel Robinson Crusoe. The islands lie about 350 miles form the Chilean Coast.

My stay on the island had been phantastic. I had met great people, learned many interesting stories and tales, had adventures and lots of fun. It was an experience I wouldn't want to miss, depite all hardships.

So, I joined the crew on the day of departure. The Captain finally communicated us that Laura, the Canadian girl, would not continue with us. He gave us a long speach, saying that Laura had broken his confidence, that she was not reliable etc.. Despite not being a surprise, the crew had mixed feelings towards the news. Laura had shown a lack of integration with the crew. But one more, now 3, missing crew members would considerabely increase our watch effort. And, afterall, despite differences, we were a crew. And in my point of view we should stick together. I felt sorry.

After giving us this news, the Captain left for a tour on the Island with Laura, to arrange her departure. We were all quite surprised when he returned - with Laura. They had talked things over... and suddenly both had changed their minds. I found that strange. But there was nothing I could do about it anyway.

So we left Easter Island with mixed feelings once again. The crew was devided, and we had a long sail before us, through difficult conditions. During diving in Anakena I had once again inspected the bottom of the hull. The long necked goose barnackles I had found growing on the bottom already in Galapagos, had multiplied and grown to about 5-8cm. They were slowing us down considerably. We were having a El Ninho season, with a feeble wind pattern throughout the cruise. My alert to the Captain was in vain. Our average speed had been staggering 2,5-3 knots until now! We had a long sail in front of us...

In a gentle breeze we were heading South, towards the roaring forties. I sincerely hoped they would roar.

Nenhum comentário: