sexta-feira, 21 de março de 2008

Anchoring & Corrosions

Portrait of Mrs. Arpex (68cm x 63cm)

During our stay on Easter Island we had several problems with anchoring. Three more severe. On one occasion the ship was nearly lost. I was not on board during this ordeal. On two occasions the anchor broke loose, when the wind freshened up, with me on board with only one more crew.


One was on the first day and one short before departure. The second was more critical. The Captain was on land. The wind freshened up to about 18-20 knots. We started to drift towards menacing rocks, on the south coast of Hanga Roa. Getting the engine started was a lengthy and complex operation.

As soon as I identified that the anchor was not holding, I commanded the second crew to the wheel and went downbelow to begin the sequence to start the engine. After a few nervous minutes the engine came to life, and we were able to hold position. But we still had about 70 meters of heavy chain, and two heavy anchors, dangling underneath, in deep water. Therefore, motoring back to harbour was not recommended. I asked the crew to hold position while I handled the anchor winch. It was hard work.

The rusy chain left bad stains on the jacket of my foul weather gear. I was never able to get rid of the stains. They are still there, as a reminder. And they later inspired me to the production of my series of paintings using iron oxide corrosion on sail canvas. I called the first series "Correntes", which means "Chains" and also "Currents". And later I added the a series of portraits called "Pressão", which means "Pressure".


View of the "Dois Irmãos" Mountains as seen from the Arpoador point. (210cm x 90cm)

Nenhum comentário: