sábado, 13 de junho de 2009

Slow moving

I've not been productive, the last few days. Progress is scant, and I can feel tyires burning. My impatience has gotten the best of me, and my work has been huddling. I feel like I must
come back to adding value and quality time in the boatshed.
Maybe it this rainy and damp weather. Allthough we had some sun today, back in Ramos Yach Club. But it was to feeble to heat up the shed.
The less than satisfactory result of the first coat of epoxi has gotten me into irons, somehow. I need to figure out how to get over this bump. Probabely I need to apply a new coat of resin, then do some sanding. ... I need to buy a vacuum cleaner to get rid of the dust.
Today I've sanded the bow sections, and I've also cut a pice of nice, new piece of cedar plywood (NC - Cedro Naval ). It is really a nice quaility wood, bare of voids. It also costs R$ 160/ a sheet, which is USD 80. Not something I easily buy by the dozen.
I've cut the first piece for the floorboards. It is more difficult than antecipated to cut the floorboards to a tight fit. It is a format difficult to measure and plot correctly. But it felt nice to get a different room-feeling ot the cabin space. The installation of the floorboard creates a good impression of the inner space of the cabin.
Lucas came for a welcome visit, later in the afternoon. It was good, to sit down and chat a while. Getting a view from a different angle, with another experience and backround is a valuable input. Lucas has acquired a sound experience building boats with his father. A Wharram Tiki was among them. Lucas himself is now working on a PD-Racer, and a multihull . It is allways a good conversation. Today was the first socializing inside the boat.

4 comentários:

Gary.Dierking disse...

I seem to remember having your problem some years ago. The pigment is the problem. I pigmented the first coat over bare wood and there were uncured sections. The second coat doesn't seem to cause a problem. I'm guessing that somehow the resin soaks into the wood but leaves excess pigment behind. I think I had to scrub it off with acetone.

Enter Miles disse...

Hi Gary,

I'll try the acetone. Thanks. There are so many factors influencing, that it seems hard to pinpoint one of them as the cause. And it might just as well be a conjunction of a set of those factors.
But, for one thing, it doesn't seem a good idea to pigment the resin meant to impregnate the wood. As, you said, the resin sucks in a the pigment stays, or worse, hinders the resin to suck in.
Have a good time in Fidji. I'm looking forward to your posts from there.
Peter

Dimitrios Art disse...

Hi from the Caribbean! I really like the idea of making your own boat! I didn't dig deeply in your blog as yet to see the process that goes with it. I assume you did some cad drawings and cut out wood boards accordingly? Building a boat is also something I'd like to pursue, even if it's a single person small boat

Enter Miles disse...

Hi Dimitrios,

building your own boat is very rewarding. And it takes a lot of effort and preparation too.

To see more about how the design process was conducted, check the link ARPEX - Specifications, in the "Blog&Roll".

Peter