terça-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2014

Preliminary Evaluation

The last few days I have enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment. Even if I am quite aware, that the launching was not more than an important milestone in this project. Just making a boat float is not so difficult. Making it work at sea, be it sailing or under engine, requires more than good looks. A boat must fit the purposes it was designed for.
Admittedly, one of the purposes I have designed Arpex for, is in the line of aesthetics. For me, a boat must look right, and must provide enough reason for interest for the eye to rest on it and enjoy. This also requires balance and proportion in the lines and shapes and colors. It must also evoke the spirit it was designed in, and reflect the main concept ideas.

For my own taste, Arpex has achieved this beautifully. I can't get enough of the many pictures that were taken in the last three days on the boat. Being able to see in my eye, the object that I had in my mind for many years, has already made worth the effort invested in the last few years.

There is a risk that my expectations might be disappointed in many other aspects. But not this one.




2 comentários:

Michael Schacht disse...

Happy to see these pics, Peter. I agree with you - aesthetically Arpex is a success. She is graceful, sleek, and the angles of the house give her a no nonsense air. She also looks very comfortable on deck and the helm station looks like a place where you can spend many a happy hour.

Enter Miles disse...

Hi Michael,
thank you very much for your kind comment. You have a fine eye, therefore, I feel very pleased and honored to hear it.
In fact, the deck is very comfortable, and the working positions are good. And, as you say, the helm station is a real asset. It is very enjoyable and versatile, with many agreeable positions in shelter, or standing in the middle of the deck. The sensation of control is responded well by the effective rudder.
Of course, I will have to see how the rudder works when under the press of sail. But I am confident that it will work right.
Some time has been spent today evaluating the positions for cleats and
I also find that the tender makes a wonderful addition, providing a lovely seating area.
Cheers!
Peter