terça-feira, 30 de dezembro de 2014

Impressions

All has changed now. The routine of 7 years of boat building, has changed completely. The boat is now a 15 minutes footwalk away. Power is not at hand. To get to the boat, I bring my paddle with me, from home. To reach Arpex from the beach, I launch my dingy from the sand, and row to the boat. Sometimes against wind and tide. Sometimes with it. I could not imagine a better situation. 

I still have to organize the deck hardware, in order to be able to actually sail the boat. I wanted to get much of this done in the evening hours of today. Not having the sun burning my back was a benefit of the late hour. However, a couple of passing rainshowers crossed my plans. Avoiding to get drenched, I retreated into the cabin, and took advantage of the comfortable cabin. I took my time to savor the moment, enjoying the sound of the rain on the cabin roof. But in the end of the day I only managed to fix one of the two - actually three - tasks I had planned for today.

For now, I have to say, that I am really pleased with the way the cabin and deck arrangement works. Of course I need a tend, and a bimini on deck, for sun protection. But I am confident to find a suitable solution.

The tender has served me well for now. It's limit, it seems, is to carry 2 passengers in safety. For a passage with only one, it is very convenient. It seems that for two passengers, it would be better to work with two paddles. But only one paddle is also too bad, if the wind helps.

It is very good for me to spend time on the boat to listen to its structure working, to sense, the volumes, and dynamics of the hull movement. 

Nenhum comentário: