
The hollow wooden mast of Arpex will be stepped on the keel, a very strong laminated hardwood area. However, the V shaped hullsides do not allow the mast to sit directly on the keel, due to the spar's diameter of about 15cm. To provide an ample area on which to step it safely, I'm building a stable socket. You can ee it in the picture above, on the bottom of the iluminated area.
Since wheather was stable yesterday, despite of some heavy clouds in the vicinity, I was able to laminate the hull reinforcements around the mast step. This area is now adequate to be mounted with the mast socket, which will also receive lateral guides, to provide a box for the mast step.

Another reason why I'm putting so much effort in reinforcing, laminating and covering everything in epoxi in this area, is that since the mast goes through the deck, the dripping of water, down into the boat, could occur. If it should, the area would now be a well protected pool, from where I could pump the water out.
I took the precaution not to glass over the keelbolts. In case of a repair being needed here, somtime in future.
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário