
The year is ending and it is time for a general balance of the past activities of my Arpex Project, and an outlook into the next steps. Here the full benefit of keeping a blog comes into play. Calling it a Ship-Log would be more appropriate maybe. But anyway; A living and colorful history of all steps, is always readily at hand. To whom ever wants to check it out.
One year ago, in towards the end of 2008 things looked a bit gloomy around my boatbuilding project. Prospects for completion were not too good. I had just parted company with my contractor, who failed to deliver, and left me with a half finished hull. Actually, it was me who decided to part company, so it would be more precise to actually say that I left him, despite a half finished hull.
I managed to safely transport my hull to a new location, and around the end of the year I was gathering strength and resources to re-start building. I dedicated time to planning of next steps and to the selection and sourcing of the tools and know-how, that I would need to continue work on my own.
Despite a fairly long period of idle time, 3 months, I never actually declared the project stopped, nor did I ever consider stopping altogether. Not to speak of “giving up”. And so, I finally restarted in February 2009. I cannot say I was boosting confidence. I knew I had a difficult task to master. But I reminded that to master a long journey, one needs only to do the first step. And just never stop doing one step after the other. Cheesy, but true.
Lacking practical boatbuilding experience, I did my fair share of mistakes. Fortunately they occur less and less with time. But in total, I am proud of what I have achieved until now. The first major milestone, to finish laminating and fairing the hull has been done with a satisfactory result. At least I have received good appreciation of it from others.
Then came the turning of the hull, which was a tense chapter. But, with a little planning and help from friends the hull was turned safely. It was the opportunity during which I met Lucas, who who gave good, hands on help and advice.
Once the hull was turned I had to seal the inside of the hull with epoxy. That was hard work. Here again I have received decisive help from my old friend Ricco, and “new old friend” Jonas. Looking back I ask myself why we didn`t pre-coat all inner surfaces. Well,… I know why… never mind, long story, too far in the past. Not worth digging into.
Then the project came into real new-land – the construction of decks and cabin. Despite the lack of plans for these the constructions has been going on quite well. The construction is, actually, almost concluded. Decks are not glued yet since I consider it easier to do the finishing with better ventilation. And in the meanwhile I have decided to build the decks in Ply-Polystyrene sandwich. And this might take a little longer than thought.
But, all in all, the main hull is almost concluded. We will see how much “almost” is. In the meanwhile the ama will be constructed. I have decided to outsource this step. I have found a boatbuilder who has a suitable mould. This will provide me with a better ama than previously planned for.
The ama will be slightly longer and wider than initially planned. Giving more volume. It will also be round bottomed, and built out of a mould in glass and polyester resin. Since the ama is potentially a “wet” hull, not having wood here is a benefit.
I`m still deciding how the mast will be built. Wood or aluminum. I`m pending towards aluminum. The decision will be taken in Jaunary. All in all it looks like 2010 could see the conclusion of my construction project. And that would mark the beginning of a sailing project.
Um comentário:
Foi bacana demais participar daquele momento da virada do casco, que é sabido como nevrálgico para o construtor... torço que para 2010 eu consiga estar mais presente no "estaleiro" para acompanhar teu projeto.
Um grande abraço e bom inicio de 2010!
Postar um comentário