domingo, 9 de agosto de 2009

Brazilian Classics - Class Guanabara

Guanabara is the name of the bay where Rio de Janeiro was built - Baia de Guanabara. These homely waters gave name to the Guanabara Class boats. They followed the sucessfull Carioca Class. Carioca is name given to the inhabitants of Rio de Janeiro. The Guanabara was designed along the same line, but, at 7,20meters, it was slightly larger.

The forst two hulls were built in Germany. But all following hulls were built in Brazil.

The mast I had on my target, as a candidate to come back to life on Arpex, is a Gaunabara class mast. And, when I look at these pictures, I think that it must be to frail to work on a multihull. specially since I do not plan on using spreaders due to the Wharram Soft Wing sail. I think I will have to build my own spar. My preferred option is to build a laminated, hollow wood, spar, following the birdsmouth technique. It looks difficult. But all website state it is failry easy...

I do like the tabernakle arrangement for the mast. But since I'll build my own mast, I prefer to have it keel stepped. I'll play it safe.


I have two of these funny two-some-tillers in my box, in the Club. I inherited them as club junk.

2 comentários:

Gustavo Pacheco (rato) disse...

fala Peter. Cara, o barco tá demais !!!! viu recentemente um navio que a Marinha Americana construiu p/ pegar piratas ? um trimaran enorme, mas de uso costeiro (como os piratas) . A splash foto do seu blog me fez lembrar ele...
Bom, mas eu acho que o fato de seu mastro ser deck steped não vai querer dizer que é mais seguro não... Vide os open 60 tri, e até os mega tris e catas, todos com mastro apoiado no conves... Bão, é só pra botar lenha na fogueira...

abração, gustavo

Enter Miles disse...

Fala Gustavo, bom ter você de volta. Não ví ainda este tri que você falou. Vou procurar.
Não verdade estou pensando em keel stepped, não deck stepped...
Abs,
Peter