sábado, 5 de julho de 2008

Leepod definitions

Before starting the construction, I was well aware that there were no detailed instructions on how to actually build the leepod. The drawings contained no indications of structures to support the various loads, imposed by the mastbase, stay and shroud attachments. Actually the locations for the attachment were not cleary indicated anyway. I asked several times for indications. But, as many others, the question went unanswered by the professional hired to answer them.

This beeing so, I knew that several solutions would be developed "in the flesh", as "Jerry" - Jeremie Walker, from SouthernOutriggers/canoe manufacturers, put it once. For a long time I was hesitant on starting construction before having detailed drawings. Like advised to do by several experienced boatbuilders. But Jerry said it would be ok. That these solutions can be sculptured by an experienced craftsman.

Well, that's right. Just don't expect it to be easy. And I didn't expect it.
As antecipated it is difficult and takes time.
Obtaining the specific drawings was turning into an obstacle which could only be overcome by ignoring it. The cost for the new drawings was equivalent to the whole material cost. I would have to pay that, to, hopefully, get new, correct drawings. Not a good option, in my view.
So I started with an accepted risk. I tried just taking a deep breath and march on. To throw myself into the building adventure. And in the end, working on the development of the solutions is the whole fun of the project!

But today Luiz Fernando and I had good talks about the consgtruction of the structures. I need Luiz Fernando to understand exacty what I whant, where I want it, and how he should shape it, and where to put the structural elements. To support stay and shroud loads. These are constructions which will be shaped form Freijó wood, 6mm ply, glass fiber and epoxi resin.

Nenhum comentário: