quinta-feira, 19 de junho de 2008

Bitter Ending - SEPTour


Columbia - Finally with a rope tied to land again

The South East Pacific Tour came to a bitter ending.

Since my refusal to take the Yachtmaster Exam, the Captain of Columbia ignored me completely, and took me out of the ship's routine. I didn't want to worsen things in the last couple of hours, so I didn't object. Nor did I care much. It was sad enough for me to have the Pacific cruise end this way. But, I had to choose my side, and I did. And I didn't regret my choice.

I guess I took the best of the experience with me. I got to see phantastic places. I got a taste of the great Southern Ocean and saw the Albatross fly - and rest, in the calm. I met interesting people, and got in touch with different cultures. I've learned a lot. Even if by seeing bad examples. But also from the captain I've learned some things; navigation, meteorology, maintenance.

But foremost; I got to learn a lot of things about myself. I travelled thousands of miles over the Ocean. But the voyage inside my own self was much greater than that. I know now what I can take, the sort of emotional strain I can endure - and sort I can't take too well. Well; let's say I know a whole lot more about it than I knew before...

The land approach was a phantastic experience. Seeing the green mountain slopes of Chile after weeks on the Ocean... priceless! We tackled the entrance through a wide, fjordlike river mouth, to Puerto Valdivia, a small coastal town on the entrance to the Patagonian land, without problems. Despite the approaching steak and beers, the crew was not cheerfull. The last episodes had taken their toll.

We tied the boat on a jetty int he local club, and arranged things in no time. And without much fuss and cerimony, after concluding the formalities, the crew left the boat. We all (the crew, minus the captain) went together into the next backpacker hostel for a long hot shower. And then, quickly, into the next restaurant for a big steak and a couple of beers. Ah! Humans and their simple pleasures!

Nenhum comentário: