Bad start into the day, with a good ending. This morning came with a call at 5:15am. Arpex broke his morring, and was adrift, in strong winds, and a pitch black night. Short before dawn, I had to scramble together a rescue plan and team, in a matter of minutes. who can you call at 5.15am, in pitch dark, cold and wind, with prospects of going out to the sea, in search of a runaway boat????
Luckily I have good friends who did respond, either with my call, or even without, on own initiative, as I came to hear later. Thanks to these guys Aprx was under control and safe, about some 30 minutes later. all happened so fast! But I can tell you, it was frightening.
I was very happy to see Arpex, on a unusual location, but tied down, and safe. As light broke, winds abated, and could start to reclaim the boat, and assess the cause for such an grave incident. Especially considering that I had executed a mooring maintenance not 2-3 months before, as I do regularly!

Turns out, that one part broke which connects the chain to the rope, with a swivel. I should have been changed on the last maintenance. Lessons learned; change them in regular intervals, independently if the diver says it can still hold for a while....
Arpex could have been lost, winther on the rocks, of in any other way. nd I must say, the thought of it, caused be to experience great anxiety. But the positive outcome, and the support form my friends, gave me a warm and safe feeling.
One of the root causes was also my lack of experience with mooring equipment. Now I know better. Last time I dived to check myself, I was the swivel, and I thought it would sill be safe. However, when I saw the new part, I immediately thought, Geez!!! the old part was in no way in operational order! It should have been changed - no question! I won't do that mistake again.











Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário