sexta-feira, 14 de outubro de 2011

Arpex'es scale model sailing

The Yahoo discussion group proa_file has had some lively debate about several aspects of proas. Most of them were related to - Distribution of weight vs. buoyancy - Usage of unstayed vs. stayed masts - Usage of water ballast - Usage and working of a leepod and to a lesser extend - Forms of steering I have followed the discussions here and there, because all these are issues which also regard my own boat, even if it is a tacking outrigger, and not a shunting proa, which is in the center of the discussion of the group. Specially the working of the leepod and usage of water ballast interest me much. Therefore the experience brought in by people who have sailed boats with these traits adds to the discussion. When I was designing Arpex, before I started building, I tried to gain an impression on the dynamics involved, with the use of a scale model. The model was scaled 1x10, and made for an visually impressive instruction. At least, that is how I felt it. When working with models, one must allways remember that it is a model, and that several aspects of this modelled world do not actually scale. So things need to be taken with a grain of salt. Still today I enjoy looking at these videos.

Nenhum comentário: