The ama is an important element in the configuration of a tacking outrigger. Its weight, shape, volume will influence sailing characteristics determinantely.In my understanding of a tacking outrigger, the ama should be as neutral as possible, and influence the minimum possible, the sailing of the main hull. Therefore, the round bottom and light weight of the ama, that Michel Pomar has produced for me from a mould, fits the bill handsomely.
In the way that the hull sits in the water now, whith the bow and stern slightly above the waterline, when the ama gets depressed into the water, as it is sailed to leeward, it gets pushed into its "hull-waterline", with maximum waterline, and the transom above the waterline. It also has plenty of reserve buoyancy, so as to avoid cutting into and under waves.
As the ama is sailed to windward, the ama will quickly reduce the wetted surface on the stern sections. The bottom of the stern has a nice sweeping curve upwards, to achieve just that effect. I'm glad that my conversations with Miguel, about how the stern should be shaped, have been very fruitfull.
I had an excellent conversation with Ivan, one of the Directors of the Iate Clube de Ramos. A very friendly and generous guy. I took the opportunity to show him Arpex, from outside and inside the cabin. Ivan reminded me, that I should quit fiddeling with tables and beds, and that I should get this boat to the water! I should concentrate on the structural elements, rudder, decks, and get the boat floating, to see how it works. After that, there would be sufficient time to finish a bed for the boat.
A good piece of advice, indeed.
Still interested in the construction, Ivan asked about where the calculated waterline of the boat would be. I explained him where the calculated waterline according to the plans was for the main hull, and told him that the waterline for the ama, was only suspected, since no calculations had been done on that. He asked, candidly, why I didn't just put it in the water, to see??
I looked at him, and then at the ama, and started to explain what a laborious job that would be, and hardly necessary to bother... But of course, I'd have to admit, that I was very eager to see the ama in the water. Ivan just smiled, and said that this was hardly a problem. Only 15 minutes later, the hull was on a trailer, pulled by the clubs tracktor, and the hull touched the water without much fuss. Four strong guys just manhandled the hull onto the trailer.
I was very gratefull to Ivan. Seeing the ama actually floating was a great, small moment. And reassuring too.
The ama is still quite rough, in its finishing. In order to push the project forward, I have agreed about the execution of some finishing jobs on the ama, with Valmir. He will sand it, fair it and paint it.
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário