sexta-feira, 21 de janeiro de 2011

Hot, hot, hot...

Recently I decided on a strategic reorientation of my project. Instead of fiddeling around with interior fit-out, I am now focussed on getting the structural elements done, to bring this boat to the water. It is not at all a matter of despair, of me getting weary of boatbuilding. It just seems more rational, to first make a rough test of this quite unusual configuration. And then, in case of promising results, finish the job, regarding interior fitout and whatsoever. The main things I want to have tested in the water is trim, maneuverability, stability,...

I was impressed with the ease with which the club workers brought the ama to the water, under the orders of Club Director Ivan. Holding the main hull level is not as easy as the ama, since it has no stability as a stand-alone hull. The ama could be held upright by arm's strenght. This is not the case with the main hull. Therefore, I'll build the akas, and the deck and the rudder. And then, get them together. And do the test.

But in order to build the akas, I need to decide on the material to be used. And now I did. I've decided to play it safe - and expensive. I'll use freijó, for its resistance and light weight. But I won't get it until next weekend. And it will cost me 1300 Reais! But hey! What is peace of mind worth?

Until I get that material, I have continued on the bed-bench. I did a rough job on it. But at least one can now safely, and comfortably sit there. And I have glued together the mast step. All was done in copious heat of about 40 degrees Celsius. The sweat came down in buckets. I ended the job just shorly before swamping the boat in my own sweat!

Nenhum comentário: