sexta-feira, 20 de março de 2009

Tocorimé Pamatojari

The other day I had the pleasure to see the handsome schooner Tocorimé Pamatojari, under anchor in front of the Urca coastline again. Tocorimé, is a well known Brazilian sailing tallship. It is significantly smaller than the "Cisne Branco". Which, I recon would make the sailing more yacht like. Interestingly, Tocorimé is built by a goup of adventurous dutch guys in the amazonian jungle.

Tocorimé was built in 1996. Several species of wood were used in the smart, workman-like construction. The boat was designed according to classic lines of a european fishing schooner, from the end of the 19th. century. ... That's what I rememeber. I'm sure their website gives more precise information...

The boat offers bunks for charter and also undertakes corporate entertainment. It is a regular participant on major sailing events in Rio de Janeiro. It has a large hold area midships, where I have already participated in a very remembered party. Not really well remembered, but well remembered. The party must have happened between 1999 or 2000, in its current station the Marina da Glória. I was invited by a friend, Monica, which knew the celebrating owners. Partying in the marina, under a starry night, with the stunning night-time view of Rio de Janeiro's landscape, people dancing in the hold, on that beautifull ship - that was something not to be forgotten.



The dutch guys offer a informative website with nice pictures.

From the website

Tall Ship Sail Training

"Built and rigged like a 1850 North European fishing schooner, the Tocorimé is an ideal vessel to learn traditional seamanship. You will be introduced to the age of old traditional tall ship sailing, acting as a full crew member under the direction of professional sailors. Learn knots and rope work, trimming and reefing sails, anchoring, plot your position and find out how to prepare and run a vessel at sea. The Tocorimé will give you the unique feeling of nostalgia & adventure and together with the professional crew, the daily practise and the basic theoretical knowledge, a perfect atmosphere to master the principles of sailing a Tall Ship!"

I'm tempted to check out the possibilities and go for one of those tours...
All pictures, except the first one (which I took), were taken from the website of Tocorime:
------------------------------
I was waiting for an opportunity to post these pictures. It was finally given by Thomas, in his 70,8% blog. He offered a post about the famed Jolie Brise, a pilot cutter built in Le Havre in 1913, winner of the inaugural 1925 Fastnet. Thomas' post contains stunning pictures of Jolie Brise sailing.

Nenhum comentário: