sábado, 3 de setembro de 2022

The new toy around

Here comes a new toy. A new experiment. It not that I am unhappy with how Arpex sails. I am wonderfully happy with that. But adding a side-daggerboard like this has always been in the list of options, potentials, and up-grades in consideration. 

Now my friend Rogerio Martin has built it for me. It is 2 meters long, and 40 cm wide. It will be attached to the inboard side of the ama, by meant of an upper and a lower restraint. The lower still needs to be built out of stainless steel. The lower being at just above waterline level. The upper at deck level. Actually, the deck board has received a cut-out, to accomodate the board, and it will be screwed to the tow forward deck beams. This is very hard and durable Ipê wood. Guess it will hold. I also expect that the board will need some active management, and will be pulled up when pressure mounts. 

Part of the job is also to wash the ama bildge, and think of the internal structure, which I will add to support the additional localized loads. I am considering a trelace structure from pvc pipe with fiberglass. I have the same internal reinforcement in the forward bow segement of the ama, and am happy with weight to performance ratio.


I was eager to take the boat on a short spin around the harbor, to test the look and feel of it while going through the water. The foil profile is not sophisticated, having been shaped by hand and eye. We tryied to achieve a NACA-0016 profile. But an approaching front and some viscious gusts pinned us down to the mooring, and a meeting to discuss the boaters associations next step, also advied an early return to land. Anyway... now at least I have the upper deck board cut out, and thereforre an upper hold.

Nenhum comentário: