I find it very hard to convey the feelings involved in the current stage of my boatbuilding project, Arpex.
It has been almost a year since launching. And I am glad I did not declare the project as being finished, just then! The last couple of years might have equipped me with a trifle experience and wisdom, just sufficient, to know better.
Because since then, Arpex has given me a ride with highs and lows of any given color and intensity. Critical pieces have broken, and almost catastrophic occurances have troubled the last few months. But I promise you, that the great feeling of realisation, at any given moment that I look at the boat, and the feeling of pure delight when sailing, have rewarded, me with ample leeway.
Nevertheless, while I try to enjoy the emotional side, I still promote a rational approach of critical analysis of the boat, the different aspects of sailing and boathandling.
The rig... for now I am really happy with my rig configuration. The first impressions seem to confirm, that the sail area of about 30sqm is adequate for the boat's displacement. Last week's sail in slow wind, showed that Arpex was capable of mooving in a quite satisfactory pace. Tacking st starboard and port was possible. The boat actually stops during the process. But holding the jib back gives the needed incentive. In stronger winds this is not necessary.
The main mast seems to hold well in the given pressures. Looking at it now, the second set of shrouds is seems absolutely necessary. They should have been there from the beginning.
At the end of the last day of sailing there was an issue with lowering the mainsail. For a reason we could not identify, the main relucted to come down. Only strong pulling on the reeflines brought the sail to the deck. the impression is, that the main halyard got jammed on the top. Not sure how. Not yet. I was, or am, really happy with the gaff... however the problem with the halyards seems to come from that direction.
The boom works well with the wingsail. The mainsail seems to set in a fair shape. The addition of telltales on the leech are absolutley necessary.
The jib set well. Sheets are easy to work, even if the still lacking trampolin permits the sheets to fall into the water, and trail the boat. A tighter tack point would seem desireable.



Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário