quinta-feira, 1 de janeiro de 2015
Sailing into 2015!
The year started well. After enjoying a great fireworks show at Copacabana, last night, I woke up eager to play with my new boat. Of course I was burning to get it sailing.
And so we did. I was happy to have my habitual crew, Roland, to help me work the boat. First we sorted out the halyards for the main, which now run to the winch, and have cam-cleats installed. I do think, however, that the cam cleats might not stand the pressure of the gaff top, for example. If it slips, I will back it up with a cleat, positioned in line. See the picture above.
As soon as we got that done, we left started the engine, and left the mooring. The feeling of leaving the safe mooring, was an odd one. Of course I have fears of something giving. It is a real possibility. things might break. However, it soon became clear, that the day was quite perfect for a start, and there was no excuse not to test. I say that, because, of course, there was a little point of an idea, that the whole thing might come apart.
To my great pleasure, nothing broke, and the boat sailed beautifully. All points of sail were sailed without concern. On a beam reach the boat sailed, under jib alone, at 7 knots. the true wind speed must have been around 15 knots. As we pointed windward, she sailed happily on the wind, at a steady 5 to 5.5 knots, at an angle of about 45degrees+, Maybe at 47 or 48 degrees. But going nicely to windward, with no issues. she is very responsive to the helm. But nevertheless, she sails steady to her course. I can leave the helm unattended, and she sails on her course without fuss.
The whole arrangement for the jib sheet works nicely. No issues. Well. One, the port sheet sometimes drops into the water. But as soon as I have the trampoline, this will be solved. The trampoline will also improve safety for moving about.
As a tribute, we visited Aleguá, the boat I learned to sail on. Looking at the angled windows, I think one or two points of style have migrated from Aleguá to Arpex.
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário