Yesterday we had another important milestone accomplished. For the first time, Arpex had its two hulls and beams installed and fixed. I was thrilled to see the boat in its full size for the first time. It looks purposeful for me. Even if I do have doubts about some aspects, which might need improvement after first tests.
Roger and I took our time to look anch check alignments before committing to cutting or drilling. Moving the ama around and adjusting its height was a heavy job, which involved lots of physical effort. I can still feel the consequences in my muscles very well today. Later we found a jack in the neighboring workshop. The guys had no problems lending it to us for a short while, and it really helped a lot. See the stern of the ama held by the jack in the picture below.
The excess material of the beam connections, above the beams, will be cut off and painted before going to water. The trampolines will be an important safety item. Building them will still be an important job. I had first conversations about it with Carlos Sass.
Drilling the holes for the beam-ama connections pins was the major job of the day. These are important commitments and I therefore wanted to do these myself. Anyway, it was a job best done with four hands and eyes on the spot.
Certainly you have noticed that the boat has a flag now. It is part of a long list of many details and smaller items that still need attention. Like the anchor mount, cleat for the anchor line, chain. I also need to provide a mooring to park my boat. Anyway... I do have funny feelings about tying my boat to a mooring in the Botafogo Bay, and let it there in rain and sun and wind and waves... Oh, boy... I must get better used to this notions yet.
Another major milestone, was to have the splicing done for my Dyneema Rigging. Goncalo did a great job. Coincidentally, or not, Goncalo had already proa experiences of his own. He had built a sailing proa out of Tornado hulls. But that is another story. What matters for now, is that he produced the splices in the synthetic fiber rope. Notice the low friction rings at the lower end of the forestay and shrouds, which will serve to tighten and fix the rigging.
Aligning the waterline and provide the parallel line for the two hulls was the major challenge. We spent a lot of time looking and taking eyeball measures, besides the meter measures.
This is how the boat looks in full size. Now only the deck needs fixing in its position.
domingo, 1 de junho de 2014
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário