Suiá seems to be one of those peculiar boats with a story. Built out of wood on "Ilha da Conceição", it was used for dive fishing in the Arraial do Cabo region. Later it was transformed into a sailing vessel, and made its way to the Caribean and up to Florida, in the seventies. The boat is now beeing refitted by Sergio, who fittingly described the boat as being a "trainera de popa sueca e proa groenlandia". Now I can see why.
domingo, 20 de setembro de 2009
"Popa sueca..."
Suiá seems to be one of those peculiar boats with a story. Built out of wood on "Ilha da Conceição", it was used for dive fishing in the Arraial do Cabo region. Later it was transformed into a sailing vessel, and made its way to the Caribean and up to Florida, in the seventies. The boat is now beeing refitted by Sergio, who fittingly described the boat as being a "trainera de popa sueca e proa groenlandia". Now I can see why.
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)
3 comentários:
just a question : in french, we say "arrière norvegien" (like Joshua or Colin Archer boats have) for "popa sueca", and it's not the same thing as "arrière canoe" ... what is the best english word for "popa sueca" ???
Eric
Salut Eric.
I'm not sure Eric... You see, "popa sueca" is not a very precise denomination. It is, I feel, more like a genereal denomination, used by fishermen and traditional craftsmen to describe a generally rounded stern.
Cheers,
Peter
Postar um comentário