See this neat video of the 37ft. proa Jzerro. The images were taken by Russ Brown, designer and builder of this boat. Towards the end of the video one can clearly recognize the numbers of the dial of the GPS and anemometer. The boat is sailing effortlessly at 16.7kts.
Jzerro had an impacting influence on my own ideas for Arpex. In fact, I had in mind to build a shunting proa at very first. But some of the hassles involving the steering of proas and other aspects have led me down the tacking outrigger road. It will be interesting to compare the sailing characteristics of the boats. Mind you; I have no intention, or pretention to achieve half as much as Russ Brown did with his design. Russ has many more capabilities as designer and builder than I will ever have.
Russ Brown sailed his Jzerro, from the American West coast, across the Pacific Ocean, to Australia. A story that was published in the Cruising World magazine. Which is how I came to know of Jzerro. At the time I've bought the magazine, and I was thrilled by the story, written by Steven Callahan. The story caused many lively discussions in the proa discussion group the "Proafile International" (April 2008).
Note the steering mechanism via a "joystick" (sec. 17 of the vid). I'll use the same system on Arpex.
Um comentário:
That was awesome! Muito obrigado!
Postar um comentário