domingo, 19 de fevereiro de 2023

Arara - In loving memory

The lovely canoe Arara has come to the end of this her life. She has rested for quite a few years on my sisters pool veranda. And there has brought joy to me, every time I saw her. But the exposure to sun, rain, and abuse by the infants have taken a toll. Arara had rotten through on a few spots, and needed to be put to a final rest. 

Without much sentimentality I took the task of chopping up the once fine canoe, so that she could be disposed of. However, following a long hedged plan, I took with me the central section, and the bow. After some TLC, with sander, epoxi and paint, both will serve me to keep the memory of the canoe, and bring it to my appartment. 



Arara was a fine sailing canoe. Its simple sideboard, and tiltable rig made it a joy to balance out. Also paddle sailing was an efficteve way to advance even in very weak winds. 
I took Arara out many times. However, id did take 45 minutes to set her all up. And she was not the safest for two. I took my girl out on her, but only in very controlled conditions. That was ultimately the reason to build a larger boat, Arpex. But for sailing alone she was a blast. I took her out of the bay to Praia Vermelha, which was very nice. And when the wind picked up, she would fly like the wind.



Nenhum comentário: