domingo, 2 de setembro de 2018

Arpex Review - Upwind Performance

Here is an objective analysis of Arpex'es Upwind performance. The graphic analysis is focussed o that specific item of performance, because it represents a benchmark, which anyone can relate to. Even though, I believe that it is not the most favorable scale for Arpex.

I do like to record parts of my sailing afternoons on video. Generally, I try to equip my videos with information about tide and wind conditions, which is very useful for posterior analysis. Which is the whole idea why I do it, in the first place. So, I am pleased with that.

By using the plotted course of a few upwind leg as a reference, copied for the recent video "Bumpy Ride", I get to the conclusion that Arpex tacks through approximately 110 degrees - which makes 55 degrees for each leg, in theory. However, I suppose there is a positive bias towards the tack when the ama is to windward.  So, maybe it is more like 52 vs. 58 degrees.  ... I might produce more data on that in the future.

Optimizations could improve the sailing angle to at least 105 degrees, maybe 100. A better jib could produce that, along with improvement on the sheeting points.  And, I admit, that I am not a very skilled helmsman. I suppose that a more skilled person could improve those figures.

But Arpex loves to bear off a bit, and see the water rush by in a quicker pace. The top speed recorded was 11,9 knots. Speeds of 13 to 14, or 15 knots seem feasible in stronger winds. But spped of 8-9 knots are quite usual during our average conditions.

The sailing movement of Arpex is very agreeable. There is no hobbyhorsing, or other vicious movement. Also behaviour in waves is pleasant,I suppose the difference in hull length and volume has a positive effect.





2 comentários:

Chris disse...

Hi Peter, I am really enjoying these posts on your experience with Arpex. I can't quite remember if she has any type of lee or centreboard? Or is the lateral plane in a small, low aspect ratio keel?

Enter Miles disse...

Hi Chris,
many thanks for your comment. It is good to get feedback.
Arpex has a low aspect, longish, wooden keel. In a way similar to the keels on Wharram's Tikis, but deeper. I'll post an image on the blog.
Cheers