domingo, 12 de agosto de 2018

Arpex Review 2 - Project Objectives

The chapter of my new series, which has the intention of making an honest review of Arpex’es performance until now, starts with a review of the very objectives of the project. Only looking at those first can we evaluate how the project performes.

Any person who is considering to own a boat, carries with him an extensive list of requirements. The better these requirements are clearly formulated in the beginning, the more likely it is that the boat owner and keeper will be a happy man, or woman.

My list was organized in the categories Sailing Performance, Livability and Creature Comforts, Maintenance Effort and Cost, and other General. Luckily, this list did not change throughout the project. I believe this is an important factor for the overall success of a project, and a cohere end product.

In terms of sailing, the requirements were guided by my overall objective of having a fun platform for experimentation, and relaxed sailing. I never looked at sailing performance in perspective of participating in regattas or any competition. As I am not keen on internal combustion engines, I wanted a boat on which I could maximize sailing in our moderate local conditions, taking advantage of a capacious deck, to enjoy the benign weather, and lovely views of Rio de Janeiro. The idea is to daysail in the Bay of Rio and around it, with overnighting capabilities for a couple, in comfortable and dry camping conditions. In the list of ambitions was also the capability to do the 60 mile crossing to Ilha Grande and back, under sail or engine, to spend a long weekend there.

In terms of creature comforts and cabin shelter, the idea has always been to keep things simple and light. But nevertheless comfortable and a good place to spend time. The simplicity also included the decision not to install any toilet or hydraulic arrangements and through-hull fittings. For urgent needs a bucket has been doing the job quite efficiently. A newly purchased propane camping cooker will provide ability for a hot drink or meal. I plan to purchase those solar bags, which can make it possible to have a hot shower at the end of the day. In general the big windows, which provide ample visibility have proven to be a success.

In general maintenance has been reasonable, in terms of effort and cost. I think Arpex has resisted quite well to the inclement exposure to sun, wind, salt, and general abuse.

In the next few posts I will look into those categories more deeply, preferrably illustrating with images and video. 

Nenhum comentário: