segunda-feira, 1 de maio de 2017

Pablo goes Sailing

Today I went for a sail with Pablo, a Spaniard, who decided to sail from Rio to the Caribean, on a 18ft. sailboat. 

Pablo has spent the last 4 year on his bicycle, riding first from Europe to Thailand, together with his girl. From there they took a flight to Alaska, and finding it pretty cold there, they made their way down North America, all the way to Central America. Finding it pretty hot and humid in that place, they stretched their legs, and, after a while, they found themselves in Patagonia. Guess what, despite a favorable time of the year,it was pretty cold. Looking for warmer pastures, they change course for due North, and finally landed in Rio. It seems that continuing with the bike was not a favoured option. They wanted to reach the Caribbean. Going by boat seemed a good idea. His girl found a job as crew, and parted. Pablo will follow. He bought a 18ft. sailboat, which he will sail to the up the coast of Brazil, to Antigua. 

Not an easy task. And the first step is to learn how to sail! Turns out, that Pablos sailing experience is... well, its none, really. So, his adventure is a daring one. Specially, considering that his boat is less than suitable for the task. But, ... Hell! Who am I to tell someone who just spent the last 4 year reeling off 60.000 kilometers by bike, that he can't so something? I did tell him that he is crazy, and that he will he must take great care for his boat and his crew (himself). But else, I try to make my contribution so that he can make it, and meet his girl in Antigua. 

One of my greatest concerns, is that he does not have any means for self steering. No autopilot, no windvane... So, today I offered to go out, and see, together, how his boat could be made to sail itself for a while. We tried bungees on the tiller, and ... well... basic sail adjustments, to make his boat sail itself for a while on a given course. ... not much to my surprise, it turns out his short keeled boat is not really good in this... but, after a while we managed. Interestingly, we found it a lot easier with the mainsail reefed. Actually, it was a good thing we did reef. Actually, I teached him how this reefing thing goes... Considering his fragile rig, and the much better balance of the boat, I recommended this as his main sail configuration.
All in all, Pablo and I had a great day on the water. Strangely, I am confident this biker will be able to make it. He has the strength and the resolve to do it. And the courage. With a bit of luck,... But, he needs to hurry up. The weather window for winds and currents will not be open for much longer, I guess before the 15th of May he needs to go. And he is burning to do so.

Nenhum comentário: