domingo, 8 de março de 2015

Carbon Post-Curing

The work on boom has started, and it seems it will be a quick job indeed. First I had to prepare the the piece, by cleaning and sanding it. Then the order was to carefully cut the precious black stuff, and test the fit. I then pre-pegged the carbon cloth with epoxi, in order to then wrap it around the boom. The final touch was to wrap the laminate into regular kitchen PVC film. This resulted in a very clean finish.
Today I went to the club in the morning hours to check the result. Indeed, I could pull off the PVC without much difficulties, and the result is quite pleasing. Carbon reaches its best when you give the laminate a heat session for post-curing. I don't have a stove t´for that, but I figured I could wrap it in black plastic, and leave it in the sun for a while. I am pretty sure it will reach quite high temperatures. Maybe it works. It is worth a try. I'm confident, that the boom will be sufficiently strong now.

 Here, below, it the boom wrapped in black plastic, in its post-curing stage.

Nenhum comentário: