domingo, 20 de outubro de 2013

The missing link

People keep asking; "So, what's missing?" And go on to continue; "The boat looks ready to go to water. Go now!" But I kindly remind that a boat is not only made of a hull, and a mast. If you have two hulls, you've got to join them. And the space between them needs to be filled with a platform.

And this platform is not quite ready yet. It is almost. But not yet. Additionally, the boat needs an engine mount. It was not yet clear to me how to build it. Sure, the basic principle of a pivoting sled, is the simple part. But it all needs to be fixed on the boat, in order to transfer the thrust from the engine safely to the structure of the boat. And this took some thinking work.
And , how it often is with these things, sometimes all it takes is to put the saw to the wood, and cut a bit of material. Provided that you did your thinking work, things will fall into place. And this sled is now finally taking form. My friend Roger, from TikiRio supported me with advice and some drawings, pictures. My thanks to him. 

Also the other aspects of the deck platform have been decided on, and will not take long to be built. and that is the good news.

The bad news, is that I have lost my long trusted and hard battered cordless drill. How did I loose it? I think it was stolen. Last weekend, when I left the club a little late, it was getting dark already, I forgot to lock the boat. I think the tool was in the boat. I remembered the mishap on my way home. But since I had never lost anything in the club, I decided to come back and lock the boat on Sunday only. Well, that was too late. Someone was good enough to lock the boat for me. ... But the tool was gone. A great, reliable tool. And I am much helpless without it now. An equivalent new one costs about US$ 250 here in Brazil. I bought mine for US$40 in the US (The package together with a disk saw was US$ 80). 

During the day I tried to "ignore" the fact, and get on with my work as well as I could, avoiding the jobs which needed the tool. I also had the slight hope of having the tool at home, since I'm busy with an other job, where I needed it at home. But it was not. And so I felt the loss somewhat cruel in the evening... 

Nenhum comentário: