On Friday, yesterday, I met the guy who will finish the rudder quadrant and steering wheel mechanism. I have also asked him to produce the deck fitting for the forestay attachment. While waiting for him, I was thinking about the shroud fittings, which in my mind would have to be stainless steel. But then I remembered, that I might just as well see what Wharram designed to solve the problem of attaching the shrouds. Not totally surprisingly, he didn't work with stainless at all, but rather with a wooden cleat. So I decided to go down this route.
The same day, yesterday, I bought some very hard and resistant wood; Ipê (iron wood). And today I produced the two stout cleats which will hold the shrouds, left and right. These will be glued on and receive through-going bolts, which will go through structural parts of the hull. The cleat will hold a synthetic fiber loop, which will hold the stainless steel wire, which will then actually be the shroud.
For the starboard side I have decided to put it underneath the aka. In case of a failure, the aka itself will hold the stay. And structurally the attachment is sounder.
On the port side the attachment point will be "traditional". Structural reinforcements are already in place, since I was finishing the inside of the cabin.
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário