quarta-feira, 29 de dezembro de 2010
Sail to Ilha Grande - Sitio Forte
On the first day, we took off early in the first light, under engine. The little wind we had came from the North. A light rain didn't bother. It actually gave a peculiar touch to my silent and solitary departure. The rest of the crew didn't bother waking up in early morning. And I didn't mind at all. I was eager to get to sea. As I fired the engine at 6:30 am., the boat was already half undone from its quayside moorings, and in no time I was in the channel of Bracuhi Marina, and heading out to the islands in a calm sea. The bimini held the rain off, and the cockpit was tolerably dry and cosy. My old friend, the light foul weather jacket, came in handy to keep me comfortable.
As we approached the islands Paquetá and Itanhangá, after 30minutes of motoring at 5-6 knots, the wind picked up slightly. Still blowing from the North, it made the islands' anchorage a bit exposed, and not suited for the breakfirst I had in mind. And since the crew was still fast asleep, I decided to move on to Jipóia Island, to seek a well protected and solitary anchorage over there. And since the wind had picked up, I opend up the genoa too. Afterall, I came for sailing. And that is what I did, slowly, in a following wind.
As we came closer to Jipóia Island, the crew came to life. The approach to the small and isolated Praia das Amendoreiras, was all I came here for. We admired the wild vegetation of the Island. It sparkled in deep, fresh green, gleaming in the first timid flashes of sunlight. Clean and washed from the morning rain, all vegetation seemed to bust out in vigour. The first morning heat produced clouds of vapour steaming up from the forest. The sea invited for a swim in its esmerald waters. The temperature of the water was such, that you just didn't want to come out of it any more...
After swimming, exploring and breakfirst, we moved on to Ilha Grande. The wind had now veered to a more Easterly direction. After we cleared the Jurubaiba Point, the wind gifted us with an easy close reach, right into Sitio Forte, where we would find a safe and quiet anchorage.
In a lucky stike, we saw a couple of fishermen in a small boat, working on some nets. A quick approach and negotiation rendered us with a bucketfull of still-alive fish. Smartly, the negotiation included killing and gutting. Shorly later, after a heavy tropical downpour, the fish made a beautifull figure on our grill. A white wine kept them in good company, during our splendid dinner.
The heavy rain can be seen on video above, approaching from the West. It came as no surprise. The only suprise was, that the rain waited, until we had our hook planted, and the boat cleared for the night at anchor.
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário