domingo, 21 de novembro de 2010

Red flag?

This blog has the colateral effect of being some sort of virtualised conscience to me. I sometimes catch me thinking; "Hell, I need to move on with my construction! It's going to look bad in my monday report, if I say, that I went to the beach, for a ride on the bike, instead of gluing the mast base..."

Sounds ridiculous. But what can I do? In the end of the day, it is a good thing. Keeps me moving on. I say this, because keeping the drive and motivation up, is hard sometimes. Last few weeks have been of the hard sort. I allways get slightly alarmed when this happens, and try to find the true causes for the affliction.

I suppose I have pointed some out, for this case. One has got to do with the current phase of construction. The furbishing and finishing of the cabin is a complex task, and it has no clear definiton of sequence for the mounting of the parts. Lots of small parts, and small projects are driving complexity. This results in me often sitting there, and trying to figure out, whether I will be penalising some other task, if I commit, and glue something on. For example: I try to get all pieces fully finished, before I glue something on, because it is infinitely easyer to do so when the piece is not bonded to something else. However, this approach imposes wayting times. Epoxi needs to be applied. Then it needs to cure, then sanding, epoxi again....

Having lots of small projects going on, means that tasks need to be carried on in parallel, so that the waiting times can be used to work, instead of sitting and waiting. But small jobs also means frequent change of tools, moving of parts, losing of parts,... Which ruins efficiency of my work. It is, therefore, frustrating at times, to see only marginal progress in the end of the day. I mean; Look at how long I've been working on this bed-bench-construction! Today I got the main support beam sanded, finished, and glued on . It is to be seen on the picture below, being held in place by the red clamp. Else, I've glued together part of the bench. I'm not nearly done with the whole thing.

I'm glad there is not much interior to do. Not much left after the bed-bench. ...And the entrance, step-box, mast base, painting of the inside, washboards, steering system, porthole-windows,....

2 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

I showed your blog to a colleague at the university who has himself built a 26 foot sailboat in the 80s... and he said that you are fast... it took him nearly 10 years to finish his boat (and he acquired the plans instead of developing it himself). So take it easy and enjoy the ride...
JWG

Enter Miles disse...

hrablI guess you're right, Johann.
I just like to keep some slight pressure upon myself. Just not to let things slide too much.
Abração, Peter