In the last few weeks I have been busy searching for mast sourcing possibilities. Considering the rig options that I chose, I need a simple tube - without the usual mast profile. I first thought about a wooden mast. But building it would not be simple. And Luiz Fernando has indicated that it would be a great challenge. A new, very strong, strongback would have to be constructed.
Then I thought about building in foam and glass, or maybe carbon. But the construction technique is not simple. For carbon a vacum pump, and oven for postcuring, would be needed. Else it would be a waste of money.
I have also contacted mast builders to try sourcing aloy masts, or a aluminum tube for the Wharram Rig. Not sucessfully.
Then Luiz Fernando mentioned the possibility to source an aeronautical aluminum tube. The 6061T6 aluminum is strong and light. But the tubes come only in 6 meter bars. The 6 meter tube weights 12,75kg. A radius of 16cm and wall thinkness of 2mm of strong aluminum alloy should be sufficiently stiff and strong. I will fit a wooden to and base extrusion to make a through deck supporting foot, and a "flying top". "Flying" because the top part would be unstayed.
Total mast height would be around 8,5 meters. This is 1 meter less than I whished for. This will make light wind performance less than expected. But it might just work out well. I might end up with a 25 kg mast. I think thast light enough.
I think it will look nice.
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário